The Great British Summer is here… I say this as the rain is pouring down onto my attic window. Well we did have two days of beautiful sunshine when I first made this dessert, so that counts right?
Nothing says British Summer Dessert like an Eton Mess. Usually this has sugar and cream, but my version still has the same delicious freshness but minus the added calories.
So when we do finally have a summers day this would be a perfect sharing dessert to enjoy in the garden (or don’t sharing, I won’t judge!)
The great thing about this is that you can re-use this meringue in other desserts like; Pavlova, lemon meringue pie… the possibilities are endless!
- 1 pot of 0% greek yogurt
- Handful of blueberries
- A handful of strawberries
- 1 small punnet of raspberries
- 2 tbsp of agave
- 1 tsp of chia seeds
For the Meringue
- 4 Egg whites
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 cup of sweetener
For the Meringue
- Preheat your oven to 130 degrees.
- Put the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl with the baking powder and whisk until the egg whites form soft peaks.
- Add the sweetener a tablespoon at a time and continue to mix.
- When all the sweetener has been added, continue whisking until the egg whites become glossy and form stiff peaks.
- Using a large spoon or piping bag, put your meringue onto baking paper placed on a baking tray.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes or until the meringues are crisp and dry
- Turn the oven off and allow the meringues to cool for a further 20 minutes
- Once cooled, break the meringue up into shards.
For the raspberry jam
- Place a saucepan on the heat, add the raspberries and bring to a low boil. Make sur you keep stirring.
- Once the raspberries begin to boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the berries are soft.
- Mash the raspberries lightly, but leave some chunks for a better texture.
- Stir in the agave, chia seeds and continue to cook on a low heat for 5 minutes. Keep stirring so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Remove from the heat, stir and let the jam cool at room temperature.
All together Now
- Take a large serving glass and layer the meringue, yogurt, blueberries and raspberry jam until all the ingredients has been used.
- Top with fresh strawberries and enjoy!