I’ve just started a new plan with my Boyfriend, who is a big gym buff like me but finds the nutrition side of things quite difficult. Healthy eating isn’t a problem it can just get boring eating the same things over and over! That chicken rice and broccoli ‘diet’ is great for 12 weeks, but it’s not a sustainable lifestyle; it makes you crave bad foods that you’ve limited yourself from. So I’ve started to show him different ways of making healthy snacks and desserts which are macro friendly and delicious! That way it satisfys your sweet tooth and you don’t have to feel guilty about it!
Peanut butter and ‘jelly’ is such a delicious combination! I’ve made a few recipes of this combination before but I craved it again and wanted to try something different.
Protein balls, I think, are the easiest healthy snack to make. They are filling, full of protein, healthy fats & low in carbs. You can also vary them so much!
For the jam
- 2 tbsp of chia seeds
- 2 cups of raspberries
- 2 tbsp of agave
- 2 tbsp of water
For the protein balls
- 1 cup of dates that has been soaked in warm water
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 1tbsp of chia seeds
- 1 heaped scoop of whey protein
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter
For the jam filling;
- Wash the berries and place in a medium saucepan with 2 tbsp of water
- Bring to the boil, the reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Roughly mash the berries, add the agave and chia seeds then simmer.
- Continue to stir the jam, to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan
- Remove from the heat and allow the jam to cool
- Once cooled, spoon little balls of jam onto a baking sheet and place in the freezer to set
For the protein balls.
- In a food processor add the dates, nuts and chia seeds and mix together until the dates have broken down. Ensure you scrape down the side to combine all of the mixture.
- Add the protein and peanut butter then mix all ingredients on a high speed until the mixture is combined, but still sticky.
- Take the jam balls out of the freezer and mould the protein mixture around this and form into balls.
- Place to balls onto a plate and into the fridge to harden.