What’s the one thing people hate about healthy eating? having to give up their takeaway on the weekend!
But what people don’t realise is how easy it is to make your own healthy version which is just as, if not, tastier than the real thing.
Below is my recipe for a sweet potato curry with cauliflower and coriander rice. Be warned I love spicy food so its hot hot! if spicy food isn’t for you simply reduce the amount of chillis.
So this weekend try my ‘fakeaway’ and enjoy with no guilt!
- 4 cloves of garlic
- dash of salt
- 5 chillis
- thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1/2 lemon grass
- cumin seeds
- rape seed oil
- two onions
- can of tomatoes
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 1 whole cauliflour
- few springs of fresh coriander
- Pre heat your oven to 180 degrees celcius
- Breakdown 4 cloves of garlic in a pestle and mortar, along with a dash of salt until a paste forms
- Add in 5 roughly chopped chillis, thumb sized piece of ginger, 1/2 lemon grass and continue to grind until it has all broken down. If you do not have a pestle and mortar this can be done in s food processor
- Toast a handful of cumin seeds in a pan on a low heat for a few minutes, then add the cumin seeds to the pestle mortar and breakdown until a paste forms
- In a large frying pan cover the base in some oil and heat on a medium heat. Then add the contents of the pestle and mortar and cook out the paste for 2-3 mins stirring occasionally
- finely slice two onions, add to the curry paste and cook out until soft roughly 5 minutes
- add a teaspoon of tumeric & 1/2 tsp of paprika
- Once cooked peel and slice the sweet potato into chunks, then add to the onions and curry paste
- Add the can of tomatoes to your frying pan then fill the can of tomatoes with hot (not boiling) water and pour into your frying pan
- Bring it to a simmer on a high heat then place the frying pan into the oven for 20minutes or until sweet potato is soft.
- Cut the leaves and stem off the cauliflower and roughly chop into chunks
- Place the cauliflower in a food blender and blend in a high speed until broken down and a rice like texture is formed
- place the cauliflower rice in a bowl and cover with cling film and poke a few holes in the top
- place in the microwave on a high heat for 7 minutes
- roughly chop coridaner and fold into the rice once cooked