It’s Sunday and for many it’s a day of rest, including me! Most weeks I aim to workout six days a week and have one day of rest. I think it’s important to have that one day off; it allows me to rest my muscles and recover. Having one day off on a Sunday allows me to wake up Monday morning and feel motivated to get back in the gym.
Most people underestimate the importance of rest, they think training everyday will make you stronger, but the muscles you breakdown each day by lifting needs a chance to re-build and get stronger.
Being in the kitchen for me is a great way to get creative and it is as enjoyable as exercising, so meal prepping for the week is the best way for me to spend my rest day.
Below is my recipe for raw lemon and coconut balls, this is my favourite flavour combination; so sweet and sticky. These little treats are perfect to boost your energy levels after a to enjoy after a workout!
- 1 cup of pitted dates, soaked in warm water for five minutes
- 1/4 cup of almonds
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 tsp baobob powder (or protein powder of your choice)
- Place the dates in a food processor and blend on a high speed until a sticky mixture is formed.
- To the date mixture add the baobob powder, 1/4 cup of the shredded coconut, lemon juice, almonds and the lemon zest.
- Blend all ingredients on a high speed until the mixture is combined, but still sticky.
- Place the rest of the shredded coconut on baking paper, then, with a teaspoon spoon out enough mixture to fill the spoon and roll into a ball. Once a ball is formed roll into the coconut shreds.
- Repeat until all of the mixture has been used.
- Place the raw balls in the fridge to harden for a few hours, the serve.