I’ve wanted to make blackberry jam all summer! I’m not the biggest fan of overly sweet jams and as I have excluded refined sugars from my diet I needed another way to create the jam. Which is when I came across using seeds as a replacement; chia seeds and basil seeds expand within the jam to create the same texture as a typical jam, but without the sugar.
I decided to use chia seeds purely because of it’s health benefits. Full of omega 3 and rich in antioxidants chia seeds are so diverse and can be added to all types of recipes.
- 1-2tbsp of Agave honey depending on your desired sweetness
- 350g of blackberries
- 2tbp of chia seeds
- In a medium saucepan bring the blackberries to a low boil. Make sure you keep stirring.
- Once the blackberries start to boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the berries are slightly soft.
- Mash the berries lightly, but leave some chunks for the jam texture
- stir in the agave, chia seeds and continue to cook on a low heat for 5 minutes. Keep stirring so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom
- Remove from the heat, stir and let the jam cool at room temperature.
- Place the jam in an air tight container and store in the fridge. The jam will keep for up to two weeks.